65-year-old Kerri Robbins went to the emergency room feeling unwell, and after a few tests, she found out she had stage four lung cancer. As a nonsmoker, Kerri was surprised and later discovered her lung cancer was caused by high radon levels in her Lehi home.
Since then, Kerri has met with elected officials and countless neighbors and friends to encourage them to raise awareness and enact laws that will protect every Utah resident.
“I am on a mission to inform others about radon. I don’t want anyone else to have sleepless nights waiting to find out what is going on, to see the tears in your kids’ eyes when you get diagnosed.” –Kerri Robbins, Lehi, Utah
Radon in Utah
Radon is an odorless, invisible, radioactive gas that rises from the ground when uranium decays in the soil. This gas rises into buildings, and when trapped inside, it can cause lung cancer for those who reside there. In fact, radon exposure is the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers, and one in three Utah homes has high levels of radon.
Utah legislature takes action
After hearing Kerri Robbins' story, Senator Michael Kennedy and Representative Katy Hall helped the Utah State Legislature pass S.B. 201 Radon Notice requiring the Utah Department of Environmental Quality (UDEQ) to provide county treasurers in Utah with basic information about radon in annual property tax notices. However, country treasurers are not required to share this information with residents.
“1 in 3 Utah homes have high levels of radon. Protect your family’s health and test your home today.” - Eleanor Divver, UDEQ
There are very few laws in Utah that protect residents from radon exposure. Many Utahns are unaware of how prevalent radon is in the state, let alone the potentially life-threatening impact of inhaling it for a prolonged period of time. In fact, other than S.B. 201, the only legal requirement concerning radon in Utah is that homeowners must disclose if their home tests high before selling.
While this is an excellent step in the right direction to protect Utahns from radon-induced lung cancer, it’s vital they have all the information they need to stay safe.
“So many people living here have no idea what radon is or that they need to be concerned. I wouldn’t take a chance; get your home tested, and if needed, mitigate.” –Kerri Robbins
Radon causes lung cancer - The only way to detect radon is to test for it. The good news is testing is easy and only takes 15 minutes over a 48-hour period. Utah Radon Services offers one free radon test for every Utah home. To order a free test today, fill out the form here. You can also purchase a radon test kit from the Utah Department of Environmental Quality here.
If you have discovered or are worried about a radon problem in your home, you may be looking into methods to reduce radon. There are several radon reduction techniques available to you, but we should first review why radon reduction is important. What Is radon gas and why is it dangerous? As uranium in soil […]
Radon is a radioactive gas that cannot be seen, tasted, or smelled. In the United States, exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in smokers and the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers. Agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and World Health Organization (WHO) have strong stances about radon […]
Radon mitigation systems can be installed in a house to reduce radon levels, but what about condos and townhomes? Before we get into the details, let’s first understand what radon is and how it enters a home. What Is Radon? Radon gas is a naturally-occurring, radioactive gas that occurs when uranium in soil decays. This […]