Radon questions answered - Our biggest challenge at Utah Radon Services is educating the public about radon. We hope this page answers some of your questions about radon and how it can impact your health.
Radon is an odorless, invisible, radioactive gas that rises from uranium in the soil and into the air in homes. After prolonged exposure indoors, radon can lead to lung cancer. Because you can't see or smell it, the only way to detect it is with a radon test.
There is no safe level of radon. Radon in the air is measured in picoCuries per liter of air (pCi/L). If your home tests above 2.0 pCi/L, you should consider getting your home mitigated. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends considering mitigation at 2.0 pCi/L and strongly recommends mitigation at 4.0 pCi/L.
The average radon mitigation system usually costs between $1,600–2,000.
Click here to request a free radon test from Utah Radon Services.
There is no “safe” level and any exposure will pose some risk. The EPA and Surgeon General recommend that you consider mitigating your home if the level is above 2.0 pCi/L and the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends mitigating your home if the radon level is 2.7 pCi/L or above. With 1 in 3 Utah homes having high levels of radon, and the state average of 5.3 pCi/L, every home in Utah should be tested.
Since every home and building is different, Utah Radon Services will give a custom quote for every system with a custom radon level guarantee.