Radon is a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas created when uranium in soil decays. Uranium is found in varying levels in soil and rock worldwide but is present in high concentrations in Utah. As it decays, radon rises from the ground and into homes where it is inhaled and can cause lung cancer. In fact, one in three Utah homes has high levels of radon inside!
How do you know if your home has high levels of radon gas, and what are the signs of radon poisoning? We’re here to provide answers to commonly asked questions.
Signs Of Radon Poisoning
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are no known symptoms specific to radon poisoning. However, radon exposure is linked to many health issues, and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that exposure over time increases your risk of developing lung cancer. Even more, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and the first leading cause among non-smokers.
If you have any of the following symptoms, you may want to consider testing your home for radon:
- Persistent cough
- Heavy breathing
- Lung infections
H2: How To Determine Your Home’s Radon Level
Because radon cannot be detected with our senses, you must test for it. The EPA recommends that every home be tested for radon gas, then retested every two years. The good news is that Utah Radon Services will test your house for free! Simply fill out this form or call us at 801-871-0715.