Radon gas has been getting more attention so by now, you have probably heard about it. It is sometimes called the "silent killer" and everyone is urged to test their home. But is radon gas harmful or is it just scare tactics? To understand that better you need a little background on what radon is.
Radon is a naturally occuring gas that occurs when uranium breaks down in soil and rock. It is odorless and tasteless and enters your home through the foundation and construction joints, etc. It is possible for every home to have radon, no matter where your home is built or when it was built.
Radon is radioactive and accounts for up to 70% of the radiation we are exposed to. It enters your home then can actually change and damage the DNA inside of our cells. Continued exposure to this radiation can increase the chance of contracting lung cancer.
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. For non-smokers, it actually the leading cause of lung cancer. Here in the US, more than 21,000 people die every year from radon related cancer. This isn't scare tactics, it's real. These facts are backed by organizations like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), World Health Organization (WHO), The Surgeon General and Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Symptoms of radon related lung cancer can take years to appear. So even if you've lived in your home for decades, you should have it tested for radon gas. The only way to reduce your risk of contracting radon related lung cancer is to reduce the levels of radon in your home. The longer you live in your home with high radon levels, the higher the risk.
Radon cannot be detected without testing, so if you haven't yet tested your home, now is the time. Radon cannot be detected without testing. It is recommended that you use a certified testing company to get accurate results. Utah Radon Services offers FREE residential radon testing. Do not become another lung cancer statistic. Keep your family safe from radon gas by requesting your free test today. Fill out the form on this page or call us at 801-871-0715.