Anytime you have work done on your home, you probably shop around for the right company. Choosing a radon company should be no different. Radon is an odorless, tasteless and colorless radioactive gas that can lead to lung cancer with prolonged exposure. The only way to know if your home has a radon issue is to test. Once you've tested and found high radon levels, the next step is radon mitigation. At that point, you can start researching radon companies. This is a highly specialized trade, and because it is a serious issue, you selecting the correct company is an important decision. To help you, we have put together this list on how to choose a radon company.
6 Tips For How To Choose A Radon Company
- Licensed & Insured? The first thing you should ask is are they licensed & insured within Utah.
- Provide Written Estimate? Radon specialists should be willing to provide you with a verbal estimate, and then follow up with a written estimate via email. They may ask you questions about the layout of the house to help come up with the estimate. Sometimes, a radon specialist may come to your house to complete the bid. However, a firm price should be given.
- Guarantee? The EPA recommends mitigating if your level is above 4 pCi/L. You want to get the levels as low as possible, but you definitely want to make sure it is guaranteed to bring your radon levels BELOW 4.0. Make sure you ask for the guarantee in writing. Otherwise, you are risking spending money on something that may not work. Their system should drop your levels below 4.0 or they should come back to do whatever it takes at no cost to you.
- How Long Is Installation? Clean Up? Most radon mitigation systems should be installed in 3-6 hours in one day. An experienced installer will be able to finish the job quickly and clean up before they leave.
- Is There A Warranty? Knowing if there is a warranty and what is covered, is important. Normally, fans that are under a manufacturers warranty. Make sure to ask if there is a warranty on the rest of the system as well.
- Post Installation Testing? You will want to test again to make sure your radon levels are reduced. The radon company should provide this for you. You should be provided with a certified result that you can keep for your records or use in real estate transactions.
Why Choose Utah Radon Services
When choosing which radon company to use for your testing and mitigation needs, there are many reasons why Utah Radon Services should be at the top of your list.
If you are wondering how to choose a radon company, our team at Utah Radon Services is the team for you. We have the training and experience to provide testing and mitigation in a timely and efficient matter. Simply fill out the form on this page to request a test or a bid for mitigation. We are available at 801-871-0715 to assist you with your radon needs.