One in three Utah homes has dangerously high radon levels, but few people know their individual risk. If you’ve never heard about radon, or if you’re looking for more information about how to protect your family, we’re here to help. See these 4 facts everyone should know about radon.
Radon is an odorless, tasteless, invisible, radioactive gas. Because it is radioactive, it can cause serious health issues when breathed in over a long period of time.
Radon is created when uranium in the ground decays. The gas then rises from the soil and gets trapped inside buildings. In Utah, there are high levels of uranium in the soil, which means there is a significant number of Utahns exposed to high levels of radon (often without knowing it).
When radon rises outdoors, it dissipates into the air and is not much of a risk to those who breathe it in. However, if a home, school, office, or other building is built on top of soil with high levels of uranium, radon can get trapped inside and cause significant health risks.
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in smokers and the leading cause of cancer in non-smokers. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that over 21,000 people die each year from the effects of radon.
Even if radon doesn’t lead to lung cancer, it can lead to other lung diseases that can cause serious harm to the quality of life of Utahns. It’s important to know your home’s radon level so you can mitigate if necessary, and reduce your risk of lung disease.
Because radon is odorless, tasteless, and invisible, it can only be detected with specialized testing. Utah Radon Services provides one free test to every Utah home so you can rest assured your health is not at risk. Testing is fast and simple, and if your home tests high, we can walk you through the mitigation process. Click here to order your free radon test today.